Are you aware of or suspect neglect, abandonment or cruelty involving an animal? Second Chance Animal Sanctuaries is not qualified to investigate such cases, but Tioga County's humane law enforcement officer and/or police may be able to help. Start by calling your local or state police precinct.
If you find a stray dog, there are steps that need to be taken to ensure that both you and the dog are safe and protected. Approach the dog cautiously; do not rush at it as that could scare it away. Kneeling down at its level and offering a treat can sometimes help. If you can leash the dog, do so and confine it if possible. If the animal has a license, call the County Treasurer's Office with the license number for owner identification. If not, then follow these steps:
1. Contact folks in the neighborhood/call a popular local spot (gas station, post office, etc.) to see if anyone has been in reporting that they have lost their dog.
2. Call local radio stations (WNBT at 570-724-1490; KC101 at 570-662-9000) and describe the dog and the location where it was found. Make sure to leave your phone number.
3. Call us (570-376-3646) to report the animal.
4. Call Animal Care Sanctuary (former SPCA facility outside Wellsboro, 570-724-3687) to see if anyone has reported a lost dog.
5. If possible, take the animal to the nearest vet clinic (call them first) to have them scan the dog for a microchip. This service is free, but make sure to ask first.
6. Contact the dog warden, Will Yoder, at 814-722-6719.
7. Lastly, be patient. This can be a stressful situation for both you and the animal. Provide the animal with water and reassurance if possible. About 90% of the time, the owner is found within a day or two. You've done a really good thing tending to the animal in the meantime.
Stray Dogs & Cruelty/Neglect