Are you aware of a neglect, abandonment or cruelty situation involving an animal? Unfortunately, Second Chance Animal Sanctuaries is not qualified to investigate such cases. However, there is something you should do. Call the following number as soon as possible:
If you do not get satisfaction within 48 hours of your call, please give us a call. Once again, we CANNOT directly intervene, but perhaps we can follow-up on your initial call.
If you find a stray dog, there are steps that need to be taken to ensure that both you and the dog are safe and protected. Approach the dog cautiously---do not rush at him as that could scare him away. Kneeling down at his level can sometimes bring him to you, as well as a treat. If you can leash the dog, do so and confine him if possible. If the animal has a license, call the County Treasurer's Office with the license number for owner identification. If not, then follow these steps:
1. Contact folks in the neighborhood/call a popular local spot (Minimart, post office, etc.) to see if anyone has been in reporting that they have lost their dog.
2. Call the radio stations (WNBT--724-1490; KC101 662-9000) and describe the dog and the location where he has been found. Make sure to leave your phone number.
3. Call us (570-724-3646) to report the animal.
4. Call Animal Care Sanctuary (former SPCA facility outside of Wellsboro) to see if anyone has reported a lost dog. (570-724-3687)
5. If possible, take the animal to the nearest vet clinic (call them first) to have them scan the dog for a microchip. This service is free, but make sure to ask first.
6. Contact the dog warden, Will Yoder, at 814-722-6719.
7. Lastly, be patient. It is stressful, on both yourself and the animal. Make sure to tend to the animal with plenty of water, and reassure him if necessary. 90% of the time the owner is found within a day or two. You've done a really good thing tending to the animal in the meantime.